17 February 2012

Book Spotlight: Moon Over Alcatraz!

FRIDAY! Here's an awesome book spotlight for you. Enjoy!


Following the death of their baby during a difficult birth, Brandy and Weston Chambers are grief-stricken and withdraw from each other, both seeking solace outside of their marriage; however, they vow to work through their painful disloyalty.  But when the man Brandy slept with moves back to their hometown, three lives are forever changed by his return.

Excerpt:

Three days later we were standing at the edge of a hole in the ground at Holy Sepulcher Cemetery in Hayward, the silence so thick, the insides of my ears buzzed like a distant swarm of angry bees.  Mr. Peralta and another gentleman stood off to the side while Weston and I held hands next to the tiny casket.

Weston had chosen a simple mahogany box with gold handles, a bouquet of white lilies graced the top of the small box.  I knelt down and laid a kiss on the smooth wood then wiped off the tears that had fallen on the wood.  Weston joined me and placed a single red rose in the middle of the lilies.

He helped me up and we stood side-by-side in silence, my guilt over her death like a stone in my empty belly.  I missed everything I’d dreamed would be happening right now, yearned for all that could have been.
Weston nodded at the man standing next to Mr. Peralta and our baby was slowly lowered into the gaping maw.  She reached the bottom, and a bird landed on the rich brown dirt piled next to the grave.  It pecked around, chirping a little song, then flew off - as if saying goodbye.  My heart squeezed inside my chest.
I picked up a small handful of soft dirt.  “Goodbye, Christine,” I whispered, throwing it on top of her casket.
Weston wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me in close to his side.  Why her?  Why my baby?  

Was this supposed to make sense?  And, if so, to whom?

We drove home in silence.  No words existed to express my grief.


Fascinated by broken-hearted couples and atypical families, Patricia weaves engaging tales of men and women who create cohesive families where love reigns supreme.  She sprinkles her books with intriguing characters who struggle to find balance in life after tragedy.  Whether an unwed teenager, desperate widow, abandoned father, or a couple who stray from their marital vows, her characters form relationships impacted by their desire to create a family.

Aside from writing, her favorite things to do include riding her Friesian horse, Maximus, dot-to-dot for adults, and watching Russell Crowe and Denzel Washington movies.  She spends a majority of her days writing while her two very large Chocolate Labs lounge on the couch cuddled next to her and her MacBook.
She writes a blog every Wednesday, so if you're interested, sign up to be on the mailing list and she'll notify you after she posts her blog on this website.  Or just drop by Wednesday mornings and leave a comment.

7 comments:

fOIS In The City said...

Patti, it is no surprise to me that your book tells a heart wrenching and a compelling story. Much success with Moon Over Alcatraz ... I look foward to reading the entire book :)

Sheila Seabrook said...

Patti, I love books filled with heartbreak and anguish, and am looking forward to reading MOON OVER ALCATRAZ. :)

sheri de grom said...

Patti - You're heart touching story is sending me towards my Kindle - it's available there - correct? Your words are compelling - you've pulled tears from a grown woman with a few beautiful words. I also look forward to reading the entire book.

Unknown said...

Hey Patti! You know what a fan I am. I'm also proud to know such a talented and giving person such as yourself. Seeing your career as a fantastic artist explode, I am privileged to be around to watch it happen and I'm grateful to call you friend.

Love ya!

Patricia said...

Thank you Florence, Sheila, Sheri, and Karen for all your kind words. I'm such a baby, but reading them really does bring tears to my eyes. Don't we all write so that whoever reads our words feels something, right?
Sheri, yes, Moon Over Alcatraz is available from Musa, Amazon, B&N, Smashwords, and others.
Patti

Jayne Ormerod said...

Patti, VERY powerful excerpt. You have the storytelling gift. Am looking forward to reading the entire book!

Patricia said...

Thank you for your kind comment, Jayne. To tell me that I have a "storytelling gift" means so much to me.
Patti